Sunday, July 29, 2012

Gender and the Sciences


I read an article, "Gray Matter and Sexes:  A Gray Area Scientifically" at  believe that effort has a great impact on product. Woman may not physiologically have the same brain advantages as men but if they work hard they can achieve anything. I remember a male college Precalculus and Calculus professor and a college Statistics professor giving pretests the first day of class. At the next class, he handed them back and told the class minimum scores that predetermined your success.  If I would have listened to either of them, I would have dropped the classes right then. Instead, I knew I was a good student and I would work hard. I was in the top of the classes and EARNED A’s. I think the key is encouraging and bolster their self esteem to prevail.
Angier and Change state that a discrepancy in performance arises somewhat in adolescence. I have to wonder how much puberty, hormones and the awakening to male-female relationships alters students’ performance. Guiran states that hormonal fluctuations have shown effects on testing.
It was intriguing to me to read that “the masculine edge in math (is) unique to the United States.” If the tests are the same, I would like to see how our girls compare to the other countries girls and boys. I would like know how our boys stack up against the other countries girls and boys. Based on the article, I would agree that the variance in performance must be linked to the expectations and structure of the different countries. My mother is a Japanese immigrant. Maybe that is why I felt compelled to succeed regardless of my gender. I know my mother expected it from all three of children—two girls and a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment